Confusing Words by Stephen CurtisLuziana Lanna Idiomas
This is our weekly post!!!!
AUDIENCE X SPECTATOR
An audience is a group of people who are listening to (and watching) something such as a play, a film, a concert or a speech.
– The whole audience stood up and cheered.
– How many people were in the audience last night?
A spectator is a single person who is watching something such as a sport event or a procession.
– The ball was retrieved by a spectator and play began again.
– Few of the spectators realized that they were witnessing a historic event.
A single person in an audience is called a member of the audience.
– We had to stop the show when a member of the audience was taken ill.
You do not use the word audience to refer to the whole group of people who have come to watch a sports event. The people watching a sports event is called the crowd.
– The crowd started to boo as the players left the field.